our green initiative
At Turtle Fur, we have an obligation to operate all facets of our business sustainably. We are committed to ensuring the well-being of our communities by preserving and protecting the outdoors for future generations to enjoy.
To adhere to this mission, we will:
- Develop products that use sustainable fabrics and materials (when financially viable).
- Foster a culture of involvement in sustainability by educating our vendors, partners, and employees on sustainable business practices.
- Measure and set targets to reduce Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Emissions bi-annually and report them on our website.
- Work towards 100% transparency of our supply chain. Read our Supplier Code of Conduct here.
- Set a target for climate neutrality.
- Publish an annual impact report. Read the 2022 Report here.
where we are:
In 2021, Turtle Fur joined the OIA Climate Action Corps, joining other outdoor brands in committing to measuring and reducing GHG emissions. So far, we have measured our Scope 1 and Scope 2 GHG emissions for both 2019 and 2020. Scope 3 measurements will be reported in 2022.
Scope 1: GHG emissions from entities we owe, like our building
Scope 2: GHG emissions from energy usage (such as electricity, steam, heat, or cooling)
Scope 3: GHG emission from entities that we do not own or have control over (business travel, employee commuting, etc.)
Along with other outdoor brands, in the spring of 2021, we signed a letter to the President and current administration, calling on them to adopt a target of cutting GHG emissions by at least 50% below 2005 levels by 2030. We will take the opportunity to sign other documents, letters, and proposals that advocate for positive changes and more transparent sustainability goals.
we're a certified B Corp:
We couldn’t be more excited to join the B Corp community of leaders that are committed to using business for good.
B Corp Certification means that we are committed to using business as a force for good. We have been verified as meeting B Lab’s high standards for social and environmental impact, that we have made a legal commitment to stakeholder governance, and we are demonstrating accountability and transparency by disclosing this record of performance in a public B Corp profile.
Education - We are committed to educating employees on how to reduce their carbon footprint in their work and personal lives. We will continue to do so through regular education/tips and encourage a collaborative team effort to support each other on the individual level.
Packaging - We have reduced product packaging by almost 65% since 2018 and replaced existing packaging with a higher content of post-consumer material. Currently our shipping boxes and hang tags are made of a minimum of 35% post-consumer content. Our product catalogs are printed with eco-friendly, non-oxidation UV inks. Flagship Press (Andover, MA), our catalog printer, is 100% operated on renewable energy.
Shipping Offsets - 100% carbon offset for all orders placed on www.turtlefur.com. Our contributions are currently funding the Jarí Para Forest Conservation Project in the Amazon Rainforest. Since April 1st, 2021, we have helped to protect 17,075 m² of forest and 2,256 tree seedlings.
- 34% of our fabrics in 2020 were sustainable
- Pledge to source sustainable fabrics and packaging materials wherever possible
- Current product line does not contain intentionally added PFCs in any of our products via raw material or production methods. Learn more HERE.
- Replaced all old inefficient windows and doors, repainted the interior of our building with low VOC paint and carpeted with low VOC carpet.
- Swapped all light fixture ballasts and light bulbs in our building with energy efficient models.
- Motion sensor light switches and programmable thermostats were installed which increased our efficiency by over 30%.
- Installed low flow commodes throughout the building to reduce water consumption.
- Installed new energy efficient heaters in the warehouse
- Recycling of old computer equipment on continuous basis
- Three drinking water filtration systems eliminate the need for drinking water to be delivered to our building.
- Free personal recycling offered to all employees at Turtle Fur
- Annual participation in Vermont’s Green Up Day
In 2007 Turtle Fur created a Green Team, made up of individuals from all areas of the company, to continually review the environmental practices of the company, products, and packaging, making recommended changes for improvement. They attend monthly meetings, participate in external seminars, vote on policies to sign on behalf of the company, and hold the company accountable to the standards set forth above.
Inspiring an outdoor lifestyle by promoting socially and environmentally conscious living and creating comfortable products for every adventure(r).read more
At Turtle Fur, we are committed to making the outdoors inclusive to all who wish to play outside.read more