Totally Tubular DIY Face Mask
While many people are wearing their neckwear (usually reserved for outdoor adventures) as face mask alternatives, it's also possible to turn that lightweight neckwear into a DIY no-sew face mask. Below are a couple ways in which you can turn your Totally Tubular™ into a face mask or face covering.
Option 1: Traditional Face Mask
Turtle Fur Ambassatur Betha takes us through how to make a no-sew face mask using her Totally Tubular (which she usually wears when on the mountain, snowboarding, or on the water, fly fishing). Here is what you need to make this at home:
- Turtle Fur Totally Tubular™
- Two hair ties
1. Fold your tube in half, lengthwise.
2. Grab your two hair ties. Put one hair tie around each end of your folded tube, and slide it about 1/3 of the way down.
3. Take the outside thirds and fold them over the hair ties, to lie on top of the middle third.
4. With the tube folded over, pick up by the hair ties, securing the folded tube over your nose and mouth and looping the hair ties around your ears.
5. Pat down to secure a contoured fit around your nose and mouth.
Option 2: Traditional Face Mask with Filter
We have also seen people adding a pocket and filter to their Totally Tubular DIY face mask. For this option, you will need:
- Two hair ties
- Filter: you can also use a paper towel - as seen below - or other filter type of your choosing
1. Lay your Totally Tubular on a flat surface.
2. Place the filter of your choice in the center of your tube.
3. Fold top and bottom of tube (lengthwise) to meet and enclose filter.
4. Put one hair tie around each end of your folded tube, and slide it about 1/3 of the way down.
5. Fold over ends to meet in the middle and stack on top of one another. Tuck in loose edges.
6. Secure on face, looping hair ties around your ears.
Care instructions for the Totally Tubular DIY Face Mask:
Removing your face mask:
Do not touch your eyes, nose, or mouth when removing your face mask. As soon as you have removed your face mask, wash your hands. If you choose to make a version that includes a filter, the filter should be thrown away after each use.
It is recommended that you wash your DIY face mask after each use. For our Totally Tubular's, simply Machine Wash Cold, Tumble Dry No Heat.
Disclaimer:Please note that this product is not considered PPE. This product does not guarantee prevention from transmission or infection of disease. Face coverings have been shown to reduce the likelihood of the spread of viruses through airborne particulates. This product is not intended to be used in any surgical, industrial, or high-risk situations where significant exposure to liquid, bodily, or other hazardous fluids may be possible. For questions relating to Coronavirus (COVID-19) and CDC recommended best practices, please visit the CDC's website or talk to your healthcare provider.